Saturday, January 27, 2007

Beckoning Cat

I know this is seriously early, but my Maneki Neko and I would like to wish everyone in advance...
This little guy stands a little over an inch and sits on top of my shelf at the office when he's not modeling! He also has a twin that resides on my bookshelf at home between family pictures. The bamboo plant pictured came together with the kitties as a set. It's so kitschy that I had to have them!

Maneki Neko actually means Beckoning Cat in Japanese and is supposed to bring its owner good luck and/or wealth. Although it's actually Japanese, the Chinese have adopted it as their own... I mean who wouldn't want to?? They're cute, they're kitsch and they bring you good luck! Get me more why dontcha?!?

Oh, and did you know that the color of the kitty, the accessories it has on, the paw lifted and how high it's lifted actually mean something? I'll never walk into another Sushi bar or Chinese store without looking out for a Maneki Neko ever again. Read more about this awesome and fascinating little fella at this wonderful site.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home